- This event has passed.
Author CARMEN MARIA MACHADO speaking & signing In the Dream House
January 28 @ 7:00 pm$26
EVENT & TICKET GUIDELINES
- The speaking portion of this event is free & open to the public.
- If you buy a copy of In the Dream House at BookPeople before the event or at the library on the day of the event, you will receive a signing line ticket, which will grant you priority access in the signing line after the program.
- Tickets are only available with the purchase of a copy of In the Dream House from BookPeople.
- All attendees will be granted access to the signing line. Attendees who bring books from home may join the line after ticketholders.
- Books & tickets are now available to pre-order. Purchasing a book online automatically assigns you a ticket for the signing. There is no separate “ticket” item to add to your cart.
- Pre-ordered books will be available at BookPeople beginning November 5, or at the event.
- Tickets are lettered. The line for the signing will form according to ticket letter after the author speaks.
- Keep checking this page for further guidelines as the event date approaches.
ABOUT IN THE DREAM HOUSE
A revolutionary memoir about domestic abuse by the award-winning author of Her Body and Other Parties
In the Dream House is Carmen Maria Machado’s engrossing and wildly innovative account of a relationship gone bad, and a bold dissection of the mechanisms and cultural representations of psychological abuse. Tracing the full arc of a harrowing relationship with a charismatic but volatile woman, Machado struggles to make sense of how what happened to her shaped the person she was becoming.
And it’s that struggle that gives the book its original structure: each chapter is driven by its own narrative trope—the haunted house, erotica, the bildungsroman—through which Machado holds the events up to the light, examining them from different angles. She looks back at her religious adolescence, unpacks the stereotype of lesbian relationships as safe and utopian, and widens the view with essayistic explorations of the history and reality of abuse in queer relationships.
Machado’s dire narrative is leavened with her characteristic wit, playfulness, and openness to inquiry. She casts a critical eye over legal proceedings, fairy tales, Star Trek, and Disney villains, as well as iconic works of film and fiction. The result is a wrenching, riveting book that explodes our ideas about what a memoir can do and be.
ABOUT ASHER PRICE
Carmen Maria Machado is the author of Her Body and Other Parties, which was a finalist for the National Book Award and winner of the National Book Critics Circle’s John Leonard Prize. She lives in Philadelphia with her wife.
- January 28
- Event Category:
- Author Talk/Reading
- Austin Central Public Library
10 W Cesar Chavez St
Austin, TX 78701 United States + Google Map