Join us for free public screening of The Right to Read film with discussion panel hosted by The Reading League Wisconsin. The Right to Read shares the stories of an NAACP activist, a teacher, and two American families who fight to provide our youngest generation with the most foundational indicator of life-long success: the ability to read.
Discussion Panel, Moderator Steve Dykstra
- Tanya Evans: MPS Reading Curriculum Specialist
- Dennis Griffin: Brown Deer Elementary Principal
- Emily Hanford: Senior Producer and Correspondent, APM Reports
- Jeannette Russell: The Reading League Wisconsin Board
- Maya Payne Smart: Author – Reading for Our Lives
- Laura Adams: Wisconsin DPI Policy Initiatives Advisor
- Rep. Joel Kitchens: Wisconsin Assembly District 1
- Rep. LaKeshia Myers: Wisconsin Assembly District 12
Maya Payne Smart is a writer, parent educator, and literacy advocate who has served on the boards of numerous library and literacy organizations. She and her family live in Milwaukee, where she serves as affiliated faculty in educational policy and leadership in the College of Education at Marquette University. Her website, MayaSmart.com, provides tips and tools for parents to nurture, teach, and advocate for kids on the road to reading.